Tuesday 19 January 2021

My First Solo Bike Ride to Sikkim – A Dream Come True

 You just cannot deny the fact that Sikkim can also be considered as the “Paradise of Northeast India”. It’s a great place to go for a relaxing and quiet holiday, away from the busy life, my bike ride to Sikkim proved to be my life’s most enjoyable and deeply amazing experience.

This journey was something unimaginable with the Himalayan mountains covered with snow, fascinating valleys decorated with colorful flowers, dazzling waterfalls, frozen lakes, beautiful villages, old-world monasteries, and multiple landmarks.

So here, I am sharing my first Bike Ride to Sikkim and the experience that I accumulated through the days…

Traveling is not always about comfort or capturing memories, it is also about exploring and getting deeper into our soul.

Day 1 – Kolkata to the Gateway of Himalayas

I boarded a bus from Kolkata’s Esplanade Bus Terminus at around 8 in the night and I guess the bus arrived in Siliguri very early in the morning. I didn’t get a good sleep on the bus last night so I decided to halt in Siliguri for a day and get proper rest before starting the adventure.

So, I took a hotel near the bus stand in Siliguri and took a shower to freshen myself up. After all these, I started searching for an agency that provides bike rental in Siliguri and I finally got a reliable one.

I visited them, did all the formalities and took a bullet for the trip.

Day 2 – Early Departure towards Gangtok

bike-rental-gangtok

I started my journey to Gangtok early in the morning and reached Gangtok by noon. That same day I applied for the permits, but sadly, as I was late, I didn’t receive the permits the same day and had to wait until the next day to collect them and go on.

So I decided to do some sightseeing and exploration in and around Gangtok instead of wasting the rest of the day in the hotel room.

Day 3 – The Permission Day!

I was ready and my luggage was also packed and I was in great hope of starting the adventure. But still, the permits were not in my hand and I didn’t know if I will be allowed to go or not.

So, with the name of god, I went to the permits office and guess what? I finally got my permits and started my ride towards my first stop that is North Sikkim.

From Lachen, at about 6 p.m. we entered the Thangu Valley where the authorities prohibited me for further riding due to bad weather and poor road conditions and I was forced to stop there. I founded a homestay there to spend the night in comfort.

Day 4 – A Dream That Became a Reality

I headed straight to my much-desired destination, recognized as the Gurudongmar Lake at about 8 the next morning. I saw some other bikers on the path struggling to ride the bike as this part of the trip is purely off-road but after a lot of effort, I finally arrived at the Lake.

I walked down the lake and walked side by side. The water was frozen and it formed into the strong crystal clear rock, owing to such a low temperature. The landscape was very beautiful and fascinating. The wind was cold and the concentration of oxygen in the air was very weak, so I just stayed there for about 1 hour and left for Gangtok.

By evening, I entered Gangtok and had myself booked for the night in a hotel.

Day 5 – Visiting China Border

At 6 in the morning, I left my hotel and headed straight to the Nathu La. It wasn’t that convenient on the road with plenty of visitors going up to the border. I halted at Tsomgo Lake on the road to Nathu La and had a cup of tea there. Then I began climbing upwards again and finally reached Nathu La.

Watching the Tricolor way overhead in such a beautiful place was one of the best feelings. Salute to our Indian Army who is protecting our country Read More

No comments:

Post a Comment